KNYSNA NEWS - The police have urged the public to refrain from spreading misinformation and engaging in speculation surrounding the identity of the alleged senseless killer or killers responsible for two separate fatal shooting incidents in Knysna this week.
This comes as the South African Police Service (SAPS) confirmed on Saturday, 22 August, that investigators have made significant progress in the investigations into the murders of former Knysna mayor and Ward 8 councillor Aubrey Tsengwa, as well as former Ward 7 councillor Mandla Matiwane and Mandla Tyololo.
Three people were killed in two separate shooting incidents within 24 hours, prompting a high-level visit to Knysna by Western Cape Provincial Commissioner Lieutenant General Sizakhele William Dyantyi, alongside Western Cape MEC for Police Oversight and Community Safety Anroux Marais.
Addressing members of the media following engagements with police, Dyantyi said the tragic events had prompted his visit and that he had received comprehensive briefings from the operational teams deployed in Knysna.
“As you would have picked up in our communication with the media, the Provincial Serious Violent Crime Unit detectives descended on Knysna after Wednesday evening’s shooting incident that left Mr Aubrey Tsengwa dead,” he said.
The Serious Violent Crime (SVC) investigation team was subsequently reinforced following Thursday night's shooting, which claimed the lives of Matiwane and Tyololo.
Dyantyi said the investigation team had been working around the clock and was making steady progress.
“I can confidently say that currently the SVC team is pursuing specific leads, with some individuals being questioned as we speak,” he said, stressing that no arrests had been made and that no one had yet been charged in connection with the killings.
He cautioned members of the public against speculating about who may be responsible for the shootings, saying the investigation needed to be allowed to run its course.
“It is worth noting that the investigation must be afforded space, and people need to refrain from speculating about who is behind these shootings. Only the investigations must inform us what is at play. In that way, we will be dealing with facts and not speculation.”
The police have also addressed concerns surrounding reported threat assessments involving certain councillors and municipal officials. Dyantyi said such matters constituted operational information and could not be discussed publicly.
He further appealed to municipal officials and representatives to exercise caution when posting information on social media, warning that certain posts could potentially impede SAPS operational interventions linked to the ongoing investigations.
The MEC for Police Oversight and Community Safety, Anroux Marais, also visited Knysna and participated in engagements with SAPS as authorities intensified efforts to address concerns arising from the recent violence.
Police have assured the Knysna community that investigators remain hard at work and that further updates will be communicated as the investigations progress.
Dyantyi appealed to anyone with information that could assist in expediting the investigations to come forward.
Information can be shared with Sgt Nobuntu Thundezwa on 082 522 1251.
Read previous articles:
- 11 Knysna Councillors safeguarded over alleged threats
- Tributes pour in after deadly Bongani shooting claims two lives
- BREAKING: Manhunt launched after two more men gunned down in Knysna – day after Tsengwa murdered
- Police investigate shooting death of former Knysna mayor Aubrey Tsengwa
‘We bring you the latest Garden Route, Hessequa, Karoo news’