KNYSNA NEWS - Tributes continue to pour in following the horrific shooting that resulted in the deaths of former Ward 7 councillor Mandla Matiwane (47) and Mandla Tyololo (48) in Bongani, Knysna, at 21:00 on Thursday night, 20 August, just a day after a former Knysna mayor and Ward 8 councillor, Aubrey Tsengwa, was fatally shot.
While the authorities had not formally released the identities of the two men killed in Thursday night’s shooting, the Garden Route District Municipality (GRDM) confirmed them as Matiwane and Tyololo in a memorial statement.
The police have confirmed that two men, aged 47 and 48, had been in a vehicle in Bongani when some unidentified gunmen opened fire.
The motive for both shootings remains under investigation, and the police are also probing whether the two incidents are linked. No arrests had been made at the time of publication.
GRDM mourns former councillor and friend
The GRDM Council said it had learnt with shock about the tragic killings of Matiwane and his friend, Tyololo.
Matiwane was a former GRDM councillor who was inaugurated on 30 September 2020 and served until 30 October 2021.
According to GRDM Speaker Georlene Wolmarans, he would be remembered as a reserved and dignified councillor who was respected by his fellow councillors and those who had the privilege of working with him. “These tragic deaths are devastating losses to everyone who knew them.”
The GRDM urged anyone with information to report it to the South African Police Service and not to take matters into their own hands.
The municipality also extended its deepest condolences to the Matiwane and Tyololo families during what it described as an extremely difficult time. “May they draw strength and comfort from the memories of their lives, and the lives they touched,” the statement read.
ANC calls for urgent action
Meanwhile, the Western Cape ANC has expressed deep concern and outrage over the recent shootings, describing the violence unfolding in Knysna as gruesome and senseless.
In a statement released on Friday 21 August, the party extended its deepest condolences to the two families, saying the two men had been cowardly assassinated by criminals who continued to terrorise communities.
The ANC said its provincial leadership had engaged with the provincial police leadership and minister in an effort to activate specialised units to urgently attend to the situation in Knysna. The party called for the speedy apprehension of those responsible and said it had received an undertaking that the matter would receive urgent attention.
The party further called for calm within Knysna’s communities, increased police visibility and co-operation from anyone who may have information that could assist investigators.
It said the ANC would continue providing the necessary support to its structures and the bereaved families during the difficult period.
Condolences to three grieving families
The Western Cape ANC’s spokesperson, Sifiso Mtsweni, also extended his condolences to the Matiwane, Tyololo and Tsengwa families.
“During this painful and difficult time, our thoughts and prayers are with each of these families as they navigate this profound grief,” he said. “We also stand with the broader Knysna community as they mourn alongside them.”
The deaths of the three men within the space of two days have sent shockwaves through Greater Knysna, with growing concern over the escalating violence in the area.
Tsengwa (48) was fatally shot in Joodsekamp on Wednesday evening. The Western Cape Police subsequently reinforced the Serious and Violent Crime investigation team with additional detectives deployed to investigate both shootings.
The police are continuing their investigations and have appealed to anyone with information that could assist to come forward. Call Sergeant Nobuntu Thundezwa on 082 522 1251.
Mandla Tyololo (48). Photo: Sphiwe Hobasi/Facebook.
Read previous articles:
- 3 murders follow long history of political strife in Knysna ANC
- Knysna mourns Mandla Matiwane after yet another fatal shooting in less than 24 hours
- BREAKING: Manhunt launched after two more men gunned down in Knysna – day after Tsengwa murdered
- Two reportedly shot in Knysna’s Bongani area
‘We bring you the latest Garden Route, Hessequa, Karoo news’