PLETTENBERG BAY NEWS - The family of the 39-year-old Somikazi Gijana received support from members of the ANC Women's League as the man accused of her murder returned to court on Friday 14 August - this while the family is seeking answers over a separate alleged rape case involving Gijana's younger sister.
Her eldest sister, Lungiswa Menze, said the family had opened a rape case in January 2022 after learning that Gijana's then boyfriend had allegedly raped her younger sister, who was 12 at the time and living with Gijana and the accused.
Menze said the accused had been arrested, but was later released. The family has since been unable to establish what had happened to this case.
"This April, we learnt of my sister's passing. She was allegedly assaulted and abused," Menze said. A medical report indicated that Gijana had bruising to her body and a cut to her face. She was admitted to hospital on 3 April and was reportedly unresponsive. "We were told that the accused had said that my sister had fallen," Menze said.
Gijana died on 5 April from injuries the family claims were sustained during the incident. The accused was arrested on 17 April in connection with her death and remains in custody.
The matter of murder has been post-poned several times. It was previously struck from the regional court roll and referred back to the district court after the prosecutor had some queries, as two statements and further investigation reports were reportedly outstanding.
The accused had abandoned a previous bail application, but is now applying again.
An ANC Women's League member, Teenage Seti, called for accountability. "I demand all perpetrators of abuse and brutal violence against women be held fully accountable by the justice system and face maximum prison sentences," she said.
‘We bring you the latest Garden Route, Hessequa, Karoo news’