PLETTENBERG BAY NEWS - Only 33 of the 81 suspects who were arrested during the violent protest action in Plettenberg Bay last week, appeared in the Plettenberg Bay Magistrate's court on Monday 8 July. They face charges of public violence, housebreaking and possession of stolen property.
According to police communications officer, Sergeant Chris Spies, seven suspects were positively linked to public violence and housebreaking incidents.
They were remanded in custody and will appear in court for a formal bail application on 2 August.
"19 suspects are facing charges of public violence. They were released on R1 000 bail and the matter was postponed to 24 July. Seven other suspects that were arrested at Kwanokuthula are facing charges of housebreaking and theft. They were released on a warning to appear in court again on 14 August," said Spies.
The other 48 suspects that were arrested were released due to insufficient evidence at this stage.
"They could however be re-arrested and brought before court as the investigation into these matters unfold," said Spies.
According to a Plettenberg Bay resident the situation remains volatile. Spies confirmed that public order police (Pops) are still monitoring the area and will remain in the area until the situation is stabilized.
Read previous articles:
- Municipal update on Plett situation
- Plett unrest: 81 Arrested
- Plett unrest: 59 Arrested
- Update: N2 at Plett remains closed
- Protest paralyse Plett again
'We bring you the latest Garden Route news'