PLETTENBERG BAY NEWS - Police have so far arrested 59 suspects in connection with the recent violent protests that have swept through Plettenberg Bay this week.
Police spokesman Sergeant Chris Spies said in response to sporadic incidents, the police used minimum force by using stun grenades and rubber bullets in an effort to disperse the protesters.
Police arrested 31 suspects in and around the industrial area on Thursday. “This includes 23 suspects that were arrested on a business premises following a burglary earlier. These suspects are facing charges of housebreaking, but more charges could be added as the investigation unfolds,” Spies said.
The remainder of the suspects that were arrested are facing charges of public violence after they were positively linked to the continued unrest in the area.
"Two of the suspects, aged 21 and 24, that were arrested earlier this week on charges of public violence will appear in court on Friday 5 July, 2019. The other suspects aged between 13 and 57 will appear in court next week. All suspects are still in custody.”
The N2 highway remains closed, but public order police members are still on the scene monitoring the situation. “They will remain on the ground until law and order is restored.”
'We bring you the latest Plettenberg Bay, Garden Route news'