KNYSNA NEWS - The two men who were arrested in what was alleged to have been a mob justice attack last month have been charged with the murder of Franklin Stroebel (22) and appeared in the Knysna Magistrate's Court before magistrate Zukiswa Hans on Thursday 31 October to apply for bail.
Carl Jeppe is on record for the two Jonas men, Slulami and Luvuyo, who are both 34 years old.
Detailing their reasons for bail, they both highlighted that they would not be able to support their children if they are to remain in custody for the duration of the trial. Slulami, whose house was burnt down after his arrest, said his taxi business would suffer too and apart from taking care of his children, he is also taking care of his elderly mother.
The unemployed Luvuyo said he would not be able to find a job if he is to be kept in custody.
According to reports, Stroebel was picked up from his home by the police after he was allegedly implicated in a burglary at Slulami's house on 20 October, when an undisclosed amount of money was stolen.
The police at the time said they would take statements from two Knysna police officers to gain better insight into what had transpired on the night of the murder.
Knysna police spokesperson Sergeant Chris Spies said this week that their investigation is at an advanced stage, but added, "The information pertaining to it cannot be divulged at this stage, due to the sensitive nature of the investigation."
The men's bail application was postponed to Wednesday 6 November and the result was not yet known by the time of going to print.
'We bring you the latest Knysna, Garden Route news'