KNYSNA NEWS - An economic impact assessment report to the Governance and Economic Development Committee of the Knysna Municipality, showed that 21 200 of the 73 500 visitors to the 2015 Knysna Oyster Fesival competed in sporting events.
It was the Pick n Pay Cape Times Knysna Forest Marathon and Half-Marathon that attracted the most participants, with 8 568 competitors.
Statistics of participants in the other events are as follows:
According to the report the main purpose of visits showed that leisure/ holiday was the leading motivation for travelling to the Garden Route (77% of day visitors and 82% of non-residents), with business (7% of day visitors and 7 % of non-residents), visiting friends and family (11% of day visitors and 7 % of non-residents) and other (5% of day visitors and 4% of non-resident).
The report states that 63% of the visitors originated from the Eden District, with the remaining 37% travelling from Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, Free State, Johannesburg, KwaZulu-Natal and Namibia. "The majority of visitors enjoyed travelling in groups of fours, fives and pairs. Only 9% of visitors travelled alone."
The survey recorded that "83% of visitors indicated overnight stays and 17% indicated day visits. A total of 27% of respondents had a length of stay which exceeded five nights, which is a very positive indicator of the festival being able to attract visitors during the mid-week."
The main activities undertaken by visitors were scenic drives (6%), whale watching (3%), gourmet/ restaurants/ cuisine (8%), heritage/ museums/ township tours (3%), exhibitions (4%), nature activities (14%), adventure (19%), beaches (7%) and meetings (1%).