KNYSNA NEWS - Knysna Municipality has been active in teaching communities about Covid-19 and how to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
A team from Knysna Municipality went around town last week to put up posters and share information about the coronavirus and Covid-19.
Council at its special meeting held on 19 March resolved to cancel all meetings including all council and committee meetings, budget and IDP consultation meetings and ward report-back meetings.
All municipal halls, libraries, museums, sports facilities including those used for practice sessions, braai areas and play parks were also closed last week until further notice. Gratz said this includes Steenbok Park, Cathy Park, the Green Hole area and any picnic areas next to the lagoon.
“In addition to this we are also closing all beaches with immediate effect. This includes Noetzie, Coney Glen, Green Hole, Bollard Bay, Brenton-on-Sea, Buffels Bay and all Sedgefield beaches. We will only flatten the infection curve if people adhere to calls to practice social distancing and stay at home.”
Gratz said the wellbeing of residents is their first priority. “The municipality will unblock the water meters of those residents who are in arrears with their payments and no further blocking will take place until the end of April 2020. Please note that residents are still responsible for settling their outstanding accounts. Honour arrangements made to avoid being blocked again. In terms of the council’s policy, indigent residents receive 6kl free water per month. This scarce resource must be used responsibly and the Covid-19 pandemic should not be used as an excuse to abuse water consumption.”
Municipal contact numbers:
- Main Switchboard 044 302 6300
- Emergency Services 044 302 8911
- Municipal departments:
- Account Enquiries: 044 302 6454 or 6597 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Building Inspectorate: 044 302 6533
- Customer Care: 044 302 6594 / email email@example.com
- Corporate Services: 044 302 6557
- Electrical Services: 044 302 6397 or 6399
- Human Settlements (Housing): 044 302 6456 or 6377
- SMS: 44453
- Solid Waste Management: 044 302 6405
- Town Planning: 044 302 6318
- Water: 044 302 6311
Important Covid-19 contact details:
For any questions or if you have symptoms that match those of the Corona virus, you can call the following numbers:
- Hotline – 0800 029 999
- Provincial hotline – 021 928 4102
- WhatsApp: Say “Hi” to 060 012 3456
- Covid-19 website: www.westerncape.gov.za/coronavirus
More in Knysna-Plett Herald and online.
'We bring you the latest Knysna, Garden Route news'