KNYSNA MOTORING NEWS - Organisers of the Simola Hillclimb, the Knysna Speed Festival, find themselves in the midst of a period of uncertainty after the 2020 edition of the event was postponed to later in the year to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Following the decision to postpone the 2020 Simola Hillclimb shortly after the declaration of a State of Disaster by president Cyril Ramaphosa (on 15 March), the Hillclimb team has been engaged in understanding all the implications of the decision while also engaging with stakeholders to plot the way forward.
"Our engagements have included Motorsport SA, our sponsor partners, suppliers and municipal authorities," said managing director Ian Shrosbree.
"While at present we cannot be certain of exactly when the situation will improve, we have secured a date in the third quarter of the year from Motorsport SA to run the Hillclimb, and we are now liaising with our stakeholders on their availability before we can confirm this date," Shrosbree explained. He also clarified the situation with regard to the tickets that had already been sold for the event (originally scheduled for 7 to 10 May): "At this stage, all tickets purchased via our online booking system – and competitor entries – are being transferred to the postponed event. This may be revised at a later date," he explained.
"As with many businesses in a position to do so, we implemented remote working last week for all our employees and, with the national lockdown having started last Thursday, our office will be closed until further notice. We will not be on holiday and will be open for business albeit in a slightly unusual format," Shrosbree said.
"Going forward we will continue to monitor the situation carefully and heed the advice of national government, the Knysna Municipality and from health officials and experts, as our first priority will continue to be the safety and health of our employees, volunteers, suppliers, fans and competitors." – Supplied, Simola Hillclimb
'We bring you the latest Knysna, Garden Route news'