GARDEN ROUTE NEWS - The woman from Sedgefield, Marianne Roux (32), who was arrested on suspicion of fraud earlier this year, pleaded guilty to one* charge of theft to the value of R2 000 in the Thembalethu District Court on Wednesday 23 October.
The state accepted her plea and she was sentenced on the same day.
Roux was accused of defrauding people searching for holiday accommodation in the Garden Route.
Roux was handed down a fine of R10 000 or six months imprisonment wholly suspended for four years wherein she is not supposed to commit an offence of attempted theft or theft.
She was arrested at her house in Sedgefield on 21 June. She was denied bail and spent the last four months in custody.
Although there were initially more charges against her, according to Eric Ntabazalila, regional communications manager of the National Prosecuting Authority, there was only one charge against the accused when she appeared and was sentenced in George.
"No other cases were enrolled on the day. The challenge with these cases against the accused is jurisdiction," he said.
According to him none of the other alleged incidents happened in George. "We don't have jurisdiction on the other cases as the alleged incidents didn't take place in George," he said.
* The George Herald last week removed an article from www.georgeherald.com where it was wrongfully stated that Roux pleaded guilty on eight counts of fraud.
'We bring you the latest Garden Route news'