LIFESTYLE NEWS - Ntombi Mponda, of Metropolitan, provides tips for single mums to help them stretch their rands.
• Don't bear the burden alone: Never under-estimate the value of your extended family and friends. Start a lift club with friends. If you need to work overtime or on weekends, lean on family members to look after your kids.
• Plan ahead: Draw up a budget. Start saving for your child's education as soon as you can. By making use of a savings policy, your money will be secure until you need to access it.
• Shop savvy: Take advantage of specials, coupons and rewards cards. Buying in bulk and sticking to white label brands can also help. Always shop around.
• Second time lucky: Ask family and friends if they have any baby clothes, toys, cots, car seats etc. that they are no longer using. Use the school's second-hand clothing store.
• Honesty is the best policy: Always be open and honest with your children, so that they understand why you are unable to buy them certain things. Older kids can help by getting a weekend job.
'We bring you the latest Garden Route, Klein-Karoo, Hessequa news'