WESTERN CAPE NEWS - Western Cape Premier Alan Winde has expressed himself in favour of “a kind of lockdown” to continue after the national lockdown ends next Thursday at midnight.
Winde answered questions at a press briefing that was broadcast live on his Facebook page earlier this afternoon.
Asked for his opinion about the possible extension of the lockdown, he said that is a decision that will be taken at national level. If he had a choice he would like to see the continuation of a lockdown of some sort, that still has mechanisms in place to manage the spread of the virus and the disease.
He favours a lockdown that allows some business to continue, while maintaining social distancing and the compulsory wearing of masks.
Impact on economy
He said at the moment lockdown is having a massive impact on the economy. It is not economically viable to have the current lockdown going on for four months.
He is convinced that lockdown can’t be ended in a week’s time with the thought that al the goals have been achieved.
The virus has definitely been slowed down, but the situation doesn’t yet allow us to go back to normal.
At the same briefing Dr Keith Cloete, head of the Western Cape Department of Health, gave some numbers of Covid-19 cases in the province. He said there are 522 people in the Western Cape that have tested positive, with a total of 99 in the rural areas.
In the Garden Route 55 people have been infected, with 32 being hospitalised and 10 in intensive care. Three people have died of the virus in the province.
'We bring you the latest Garden Route, Karoo, Hessequa news'