|SOUTHERN CAPE NEWS - Get ready for the best wine and lifestyle festival in the Little Karoo! Calitzdorp, the Port Capital of South Africa, is the place to be over the weekend of 18 to 20 May as visitors from across the country make their way to the annual Absa Calitzdorp Port & Wine Festival. |
Promising to be bigger and better in 2012 with many new events, ABSA has awarded the festival a three year headline sponsorship contract. Renowned Port producers, Axe Hill, Boplaas, Calitzdorp Cellar, De Krans, Du'SwaRoo, Peter Bayly, TTT and Withoek will host the Absa Calitzdorp Port & Wine Festival.
Following the outstanding success of the 2009 and 2011 festivals, the event is now an annual festival and will again be centred at the historic Calitzdorp Railway Station.
New events include
- Barrel samples of the unique Calitzdorp Blend (from Portuguese cultivars), to be launched at the festival, will be available at the eight cellars in Calitzdorp.
- A unique cooking demonstration with Emile Joubert and Jan Braai (Scanell) using Tinta Barocca, Touriga Nacional and Port wines from Calitzdorp.
- The first ever ostrich on the spit!
- A cheese & wine celebration hosted by food guru Francois Ferreira and Cape Wine Academy Master Junel Vermeulen, will showcase regional and international cheeses with Port and Port cultivars.
- Journey into the past with 'Stoep Stories' hosted by locals and a well-known guest. Unwind with wine and snacks on the Calitzdorp Cellar verandah overlooking the beautiful Gamka Valley.
- A cabaret will add excitement to the fabulous Port Dance.
- Lazy late afternoon classics and Port and wine sun-downers.
- Wine blending workshop - blend your own bottle to take home with you!
- Blending and tasting of Port cocktails by Chef Marc Lorenz.
For more details and tourism and accommodation information visit www.portwine-festival.co.za. Programme event details will be added to the website from mid-March. Tickets: Pre-book through Computicket (from mid-March 2012) or book during the festival at the Calitzdorp Computicket Box Office which will be conveniently located at the Calitzdorp Station festival grounds. Check the Computicket website from mid-March for early bird entrance ticket specials. Accommodation: Calitzdorp Tourism on 044 2133 775.
- Tasting at the Station Barn or visit the various cellars.
- Unravelling the mysteries of Port by Carel Nel, Boets Nel and Fanie Geyser at Boplaas Cellar in conjunction with a guest geologist who will unravel the terroir of the region.
- Chocolate and Port / Wine Decadence hosted by Belgium trained Chocolatier Marita Lamprecht and Cape Wine Academy Master Junel Vermeulen.
- Youth and local artists expo in the DR Church Hall.
- Arts meander of artists in various media.
- Biodiversity expo; boules and jukskei competitions; cultural/historical meander; daily organ recitals in the magnificent stone Dutch Reformed church; children's entertainment at the Calitzdorp Station and the main cellars.
- Tractor rides to the various cellars.
- Quality upmarket food and lifestyle stalls, coffee shops and restaurants.
- Mediterranean style Long Table Brunch on Sunday 20 May under the vines at the Station.